Thursday, August 18, 2011

Do I look ok?

My 4 year old and I were getting dressed to go to her weekly gymnastics class. She usually makes her clothing selections on "non-school" days. She made a choice to wear pants and a t-shirt. I made a selection to wear jeans and a t-shirt as well.  Upon putting on her clothes she states:

"Mami this is what I am wearing."
I say," okay good choice".
I try to follow suit and say: "Yarisa, is what I'm wearing okay? "
She looked puzzled and asked "Do you like it?"
And I replied: "Yes of course."
She then said, "that's ok if you like it, then its ok."

And now that one sentence reaffirmed the following:
- She still listens to what I tell her especially during those moments when she doesn't seem like she is 
-I have some how modeled that how you feel about yourself comes from inside of you not from the outside.
-Finally, I need to think about what I say because at times questions like that jumble the message for my already reflective and observant 4 year old..... 












No comments:

Post a Comment